Chair: Bill Gardiner – firstname.lastname@example.org – (207)847-3626
Members: Richard Snow, Jerry Lord
Meetings take place on the 3rd Wednesday of each month.
The Town of Yarmouth, Maine epitomizes the best in Maine communities – a New England style main street (known as the “Village”) with a combination of old homes and small businesses, a beautiful parkway along the picturesque Royal River, a sheltered port in Yarmouth Harbor and a diversified commercial base along U.S. Route 1. What makes Yarmouth special is that so many of our more than 8,300 residents contribute their time and efforts to make Yarmouth a warm and welcoming community of caring individuals, thus exemplifying our motto, “Our Latchstring Always Out.”
Yarmouth is located on the southern coast of the State of Maine in the northeastern section of the County of Cumberland, the State’s most populous county. The Town is approximately 11 miles northeast of Portland, the State’s largest city. The Town’s northeast border is formed by the towns of Freeport and Pownal, with North Yarmouth on the northwest and Cumberland on its southwest. The Atlantic Ocean establishes the Town’s southeastern line. The Cousins River separates a portion of Yarmouth from Freeport and the Royal River flows through the center of the Town. Access to Yarmouth is provided by two exits off U.S. Interstate 295, by U.S. Route 1 and State Route 88, each intersecting from a north/south direction; and State Route 115, which intersects the Town from east/west.
The area embracing Yarmouth, first settled in 1636, was abandoned twice before successful final settlement in 1713. In 1646, William Royall purchased a farm on the river that, since, has borne his name. John Cousins, a few years previous, occupied a neck of land between branches of a stream and owned an island, both now bearing his name. These settlements were established in the vicinity, called by the Wabanakis, as “Wescustogo”. Yarmouth originally constituted the eastern portion of North Yarmouth; the “North” in the name intended to differentiate it from the Town of Yarmouth, Massachusetts on Cape Cod. North Yarmouth was chartered on September 22, 1680, encompassing the area of the present Town of North Yarmouth and the towns of Harpswell (separating off in 1750), Freeport (separating off in 1789), Pownal (separating off from Freeport in 1808), Cumberland (separating off in 1821), and Yarmouth (separating off in 1849). Settling originally on the ocean at Casco Bay, by 1830 the town center shifted upstream to the lower part of the Royal River. Yarmouth was incorporated as the Town on August 8, 1849.